Find Your Machine
Send a message

I’m Most Interested In *

Blog

Blog

All-Fill filling machines continue to stand alone as the one and only industry leader, with a focus on future designs and advancing technology.

FILL-TO-WEIGHT AUGER FILLERS

April 15th, 2016

A vast majority of the auger filling machines that All-Fill puts in the field are simple volumetric applications.  However, we do run across quite a bit of fill by weight filling applications as well.  Simply put, “fill by weight” means using a scale to achieve the precise filling accuracy.

Fill by weight auger filling machines come in many different shapes and sizes.  Typically, these applications are considered to be semi-automatic.  Semi-automatic means that an operator has to stage the bag, bottle or container at a given location but once the fill cycle is initiated the filler and scale work hand in hand to achieve precise results.  Most often the scale is affixed to a separate frame from the filler.  This design makes sense because the scale is completely isolated from all vibration and noise that may be coming from the filling machine.

The video that accompanies this blog post shows how All-Fill handles a coffee into bag application utilizing a bladder to hold the bag in place for fill by weight measuring.  A bladder or a bag clamp are typically the two options that a customer can choose from for bag filling by weight.  In this case, the bladder inflates and deflates to hold the bag or release the bag after filling.  The bladder is sized by All-Fill to perfectly fit the bags diameter when expanded.  If you are looking to fill multiple bags, it is possible that you will use multiple bladders, they are easily interchangeable.

The sequence of operation is relatively simple and depending on the fill size, speeds can range from about 1-5 bags per minute.  The operator places an open bag around the deflated bladder.  When the operator steps on a foot switch on the floor, the bag inflates so that it holds the bag firmly prior to the fill.  If utilizing an auger filler, the funnel (auger inside the funnel) extends down through the inside of the bladder, ending about one inch above the bladder.  The auger turns to dispense product with the funnel containing it.

Remember, the scale is mounted to a separate frame from the filler and the weight of the bladder is tared on the scale.  Before a bag is held in place by the bladder the scale should always read 0.00 (grams, ounces, pounds, kg).   Once the product starts to dispense into the bag, the scale begins to read the weight as it adds up.  Most fill by weight applications utilize a bulk and dribble or set point fill.  Demonstrated in the video is a bulk and dribble.  A bulk and dribble fill means that the initial fill (bulk) accounts for approximately 80% of the target weight.  The remaining 20% of the fill is considered the dribble.  The dribble portion of the fill is usually filled much slower than the bulk, thus a servomotor (model BS-SV-600) is recommended for bulk and dribble applications.

When the bulk fill is complete (80%), the scale calculates how many revolutions are needed in order to fill the remaining 20%.  The interaction of scale and filler is what makes the fill accuracy so precise.  It is not uncommon for fill accuracy to be within .25% of the overall fill weight although this often is dependent on many variables.

 

Enjoy the video documentation of a fill by weight auger filler.  If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact All-Fill at 610-524-7350 or info@all-fill.com 

All-Fill is not only a manufacturer of auger filling machines but also vibratory net weight linear scale fillers, cup fillers, checkweighers and vertical form fill seal (VFFS) bagging machines.  We look forward to working with your next application.

TOP